Family Picture

Family Picture

Thursday, April 23, 2015

Barron's Birth Story

On Tuesday, April 7, 2015 at 5:00 am Barron George Coats decided to come into this world.

It all started on Monday afternoon when I left work around noon for lunch and while out I decided I didn't feel good and didn't go back to work for the afternoon. But it was actually from my allergies/sinus' because my head was killing me so I wanted to go home and rest. On my way home while driving I started realizing that the 'Braxton Hicks' that I had been having were actually accompanied by a cramp every time. I had them both but not simultaneous. My dad was the only person I told this to because I was tired of telling people anytime I was feeling anything and it being nothing. But of course I still thought nothing too much of it and headed home to 'rest'. Instead I did laundry and kinda laid around. If only I knew what my future held maybe I would have actually taken a nap!

Around 4:00 Nick came home to check in and wait for his worker to go help him on another job. Around 4:30 I had gotten up out of bed and felt like I could have lost some fluid but wasn't sure. A few minutes later Nick said 'I wish you would just go into labor!'. I told him what was going on but that I wasn't sure of anything and he freaked and wanted me to call Dr Bell.

I called his office but the answering service was already on so I left a message for Bell to be paged and call me. The guy told me the doctor that was on call and that did not make me too happy. I thought well were holding off until tomorrow or having an at home birth if that's the case. But just a few minutes later Dr Bell called me back himself and told me the best thing to do was go to Labor and Delivery and be monitored. I got off the phone and said 'well we need to go to Labor and Delivery!' Nicks response 'Really? (with pure excitement) Do I have time to take a shower?' I said yeah I'm not in a big hurry.

We got to the hospital around 6:00 and there had been no change since my previous appointment with Bell (dilated to 2 and 75% effaced) but they hooked me up to be monitored to see if anything was going on. Well, I was not leaking fluid but they admitted I was having some contractions about 5 or 6 minutes apart so they had me walk the halls. I didn't walk too much and was checked again and was close to a 3. So we walked more for about 45 minutes straight. I was then checked around 10:15 and I was definitely a 3 and having a little more serious contractions. The nurse gave us a choice of staying or going home. Finally at this point I was no longer really in denial. I thought about going home but I could tell Nick did not want to get home and just have to turn around and come back so we stayed!





Good thing we stayed because 2 hours later I was at a 4 and 100% effaced without walking or anything. Around 1:30 I was at a 5 and asked for my epidural! I went in debating on the epidural. But when your sitting in a room and no one can talk because your not in the mood or I just couldn't talk because of the contractions the epidural just seemed like it would make it all much more enjoyable for us all! And it did! I was chit chatting and Nick would ask if I could feel a contraction and I was like no what contraction? According to him they were off the chart but I felt good.

I got my epidural around 2:00 and then was checked at 2:30 and was at an 8 already. Things were getting serious quick and Kathy, my delivery nurse who was amazing, told me she was gonna call the doctor. All I know is I turned to her and asked if Dr Bell was the doctor coming and she said yes he put himself on call. I was completely relieved and ready to go. Bell had come down and checked on me when I was being monitored so I was glad he knew I was there because I had a feeling he would make the delivery. He doesn't miss delivering his own babies unless he absolutely cannot make it. And this is why I love Dr Bell!

It all went really fast and before I knew it I was at a 9 and then all of a sudden a 10 and they were ready for me to start pushing. Kasey had told me you better put that hair up in a pony tail and I remember checking with her to make sure it looked good! Well I knew there would be pictures!




























My water still had not broke but they thought maybe when I started pushing it would break. That didn't work and a nurse finally had to break it. My mom and Nick were the only ones I had stay in the room with me. I started pushing at 4:00 am but there was a time right before I started pushing that the nurse was looking at the monitor and had me lay on my left side. I knew this was because of Barron's heart rate so I knew I gotta get this baby out. The nurse had not said anything and no one else caught on I don't think but I knew what was going on. Kathy did awesome helping me push, along with all the other nurses in L&D. Dr Bell showed up shortly after to help me push at the end and at 5:00 am Barron was here!

7 pounds 1 ounce and 19 3/4 inches long



Nick walking out to let everyone know Barron was here. His mom took this photo and I LOVE it!


Barron's first 'dirty diaper'...


My precious angel baby



Heading home from the hospital...



I am so thankful my labor went so well and this little guy was healthy! I could not have asked for things to go any better. Labor is definitely a huge adrenaline rush and to be honest I loved every second!


No comments:

Post a Comment